Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Create Rocks from Leftover Bits of Plaster


















I created a scenery base for taking pictures and had some left over plaster, so I poured the leftover plaster into a rock mold. The rock mold gave me predictable result; four beautiful rocks.  Still having some leftover plaster I spooned it on a piece of wax paper into small piles. After the plaster had dried I took a chisel ended hobby knife and shaped the bits of plaster until I was happy with their shape. To color my rocks I used the following paint and colors:
  • Model Master, Light Grey
  • Pactra, Dark Gull Grey
  • My Studios, Grey
  • Folk Art, Medium Grey

I usually stated with a dark base color, followed by a dry brushing with two or three related lighter colors. I also tried reversing the process and used a light base color followed with a dry brushing of darker color. This technique does work if you apply the secondary colors sparingly. It is like you are trying to paint detail on the rock, like shadows for instance. Lastly, I applied a couple of good coats of black wash on the rock carvings. This flowed into the cracks and crevices and muted and fused the colors together.

What were the results? The results were that no two hand crafted rocks or boulders were the same. Although I did try to create several rocks that were similar in appearance, each rock is unique. I experimented with different techniques and processes on each rock. On one of the grey rocks I added grey chalk and some fine green turf material to represent moss. I added these components while the paint was still wet and gave the carving a good bath of black wash.

The picture does not do the carving too much justice and I feel that the rocks will look pretty good surrounded with landscaping material.  I use these rocks as small islands when I play the Pirates at Ocean’s Edge miniatures game.  Three dimensional islands are more realistic than the flat islands included with the other game pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment