Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Diamonds, Giant Snakes and the Roc

On Sinbad's second voyage he was once again shipwrecked. On this occasion he wound up on an island that could not sustain life and he looked for a way to escape from his predicament. While he was investigating the island he came upon a large circular object “that was at least fifty paces round.”

While investigating the object Sinbad noticed a huge black cloud hovering overhead and he remembered hearing sailors tell of a wonderful bird called a Roc. The Roc is a mythological bird of huge proportions and object that Sinbad was investigating was obviously a Roc egg.

“Sure enough the bird settled slowly down upon it, covering it with its wings to keep it warm, and I cowered close beside the egg in such a position that one of the bird's feet, which was as large as the trunk of a tree, was just in front of me. Taking off my turban I bound myself securely to it with the linen in the hope that the roc, when it took flight next morning, would bear me away with it from the desolate island.”

The next morning, the roc left its nest and flew off to an distant island and upon touching ground Sinbad released himself from  the bird and ” as I wandered about, seeking anxiously for some means of escaping from this trap, I observed that the ground was strewed with diamonds, some of them of an astonishing size. This sight gave me great pleasure, but my delight was speedily damped when I saw also numbers of horrible snakes so long and so large that the smallest of them could have swallowed an elephant with ease.” 

Sinbad the Sailor’s Second Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment