Friday, September 13, 2013

1/87 Woodland Scenics Chicken Coop

The Woodland Scenics Chicken Coop kit comes with a wealth of details, both inside and out. The kit consists of nine white metal parts, plus a spruce with twelve chickens. I have decided to leave the details for another time and will build the chicken coop.

The structure has many details that are cast in to the kit pieces. The kit consists of a front and back, two sides and the roof. The structure seems to be thrown together piece meal and with a verity of materials, there are some bricks, board, corrugated material, and a piece of plywood.

Having stood the pieces of the structure up together after I had cleaned up any flash and parting lines, I noticed that depending on where I sat this structure I wouldn’t have to be too concerned about the interior details of the structure

I spray painted the five pieces and front and back with a cheap flat white spray paint. Since there is such a verity of building materials represented in the casting I have decided to paint the walls as they lay flat on my workbench before gluing them together.

I used one of my favorite techniques for representing corrugated material; I painted the interior with Pactra, Dark Gull Grey and gave everything a good black wash. This seems to represent old corrugated metal rather well. The chicken nesting boxes received a coat of tan and I then picked out the few chickens that were represented here with a little dabs of white paint.

Like I mentioned earlier, the structure seemed to be thrown together, or perhaps it was patched together with whatever materials there were at hand. On the outside of the structure there are some bricks, corrugated sheet, a piece of plywood, clapboard siding and some board and batten. All of this will make for a very interesting presentation. There are also a few details that will also have to picked-out with an appropriate color.

The structure is sitting on my workbench, only needing some touch-up paint, dry-brushing and weathering and I will upload an image of the model as soon as it is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment