Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What is on your Workbench?

I am so glad that you asked. I still have two old men miniatures from Brigade that are nearly completed. One miniature, the Jolly Old Man, is closer than the other, in that it has received its highlights and shadow coats. I still need to attempt painting its eyes. The other, an old man with a lantern in hand is in progress.

The other major project, that I have been working on are a few scenery pieces for my Pirates of the Spanish Main miniatures game. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, although the Pirates of the Spanish Main game provides “wild” islands they do not provide home islands. Home Islands are those where you base your operations from, they are where repairs are typically performed, and are where you store your gold pieces.

I used cardboard for the base for one of the islands, plaster coated pieces of Styrofoam bead board for a couple of scenery pieces, and globs of leftover plaster for several other “home” islands and scenery pieces. With left over plaster I scooped it out in globs on a piece of cardboard. Once these were thoroughly dry I used a chisel bladed hobby knife and chiseled the globs to shape. I made some horizontal and vertical cuts to mimic rock faces. I then used dark grey paints to paint the pieces. Alternately, I painted some areas of the casting to represent corral.

I gave each piece a good black wash, and then dry brushed using lighter shades of grey to bring out the highlights and add variations of color here and there. Once the paint was dry, I painted selected areas dark brown and added green ground foam to represent vegetation.

03

No comments:

Post a Comment