Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Are these Texts Steampunk or Not?

At the time of my readings of “The Difference Engine”, William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, “The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, Neal Stephenson”, and “The League of Extraordinary Gentleman Journal”, written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill, I didn’t realize their true genre.

It wasn’t until recent readings in the Steampunk Bible that their true genre was relieved to me. The subject matter within these three texts is defiantly taken place in the Victorian period. And there is definitely a lot of mention of fabulous contraptions being purported. But I am still unsure that all of these texts can be considered Strempunk literature.

The Difference Engine, William Gibson and Bruce Sterling

The Difference Engine is an alternate history novel in Britain during the Victorian era. The premise is that Charles Babbage’s Difference Engine (Analytical Engine) was completed and the social changes that followed. The Difference Engine does take place in Victorian England and the story does make use of steam, so in this case I will agree with its being from the Steampunk genre.

The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, Neal Stephenson

In my first reading of this novel I mistook this novel as being in the cyberpunk genre. It mixes nano-technology with Victorian morals. I don’t remember and mention of steam, what so ever. I am unsure if this novel should be considered Steampunk.

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman Journal, written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Kevin O'Neill

I don’t remember this graphic novel being quotes as being from the Steampunk genre, but having read about its use of steam air ships and other Victorian forms of transportation this novel is definitely Steampunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment